积分
发表于 8 小时前 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
My car just died on me.   我的汽车开着开着就坏了。

体会这里,当说话人使用了"on me" ,会增加感情色彩, 经常表达但是一种不快或不便之处,尤其是没想到的不利的事情发生了。

Here are five sentences using "on me", with translations into Chinese:
  • The coffee machine broke down on me right when I needed it.
    咖啡机在我正需要它的时候坏掉了。
  • My laptop froze on me during the presentation.
    我的笔记本电脑在演讲时突然死机了。
  • The door slammed shut on me before I could grab my keys.
    我还没来得及拿到钥匙,门就猛地关上了。
  • My pen ran out of ink on me while I was signing the contract.
    我在签合同的时候,笔突然没墨了。
  • The TV turned off on me just as the game was getting exciting.
    就在比赛最精彩的时候,电视突然关掉了。

In each case, "on me" emphasizes the personal frustration or inconvenience experienced by the speaker.

详细解释:
In the sentence "My car just died on me", the phrase "on me" adds a sense of personal inconvenience or frustration. This construction is often used in English to emphasize that something happened directly to or affected the speaker in an undesirable way.
Here's why "on me" is used in this context:
  • Personal Impact: Saying "on me" emphasizes that the car breaking down caused trouble specifically for the speaker. It's a way of expressing that the event is not just a neutral occurrence (the car broke down), but it also affected the speaker's plans or day negatively.
  • Colloquial Tone: The use of "on me" makes the sentence sound more conversational and natural, especially in spoken English. It adds a layer of emotion, showing the speaker's frustration or sense of bad luck.
Other Examples of This Usage:
  • My phone ran out of battery on me. (The phone dying caused me inconvenience.)
  • The printer jammed on me right before I needed to print an important document.
In these cases, "on me" isn't necessary for the literal meaning of the sentence, but it adds an emotional nuance, highlighting that the event negatively affected the person.

It would still sound natural without "on me", but the tone and emphasis would change slightly.
  • With "on me": "My car just died on me."
    • This adds a sense of personal frustration or inconvenience, as if the car dying has directly caused a problem for the speaker.
  • Without "on me": "My car just died."
    • This sounds more neutral and matter-of-fact. It simply states that the car stopped working, without emphasizing the emotional impact or inconvenience on the speaker.
Both versions are grammatically correct and natural, but "on me" adds that extra emotional nuance or conversational tone.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|桐木舟论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-23 14:27 , Processed in 0.035121 second(s), 21 queries .